Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Shaky News

We've had a few mild earthquakes lately, the most recent one about a week ago and the very first experience I've had of being aware of a quake while it's happening. Even all that time in northern California, and apparently I'm really not observant of my surroundings enough to feel the ground shake.

The last one lasted for what seemed like quite a while, and it came at about 1:30 in the morning. For some strange reason we were awake at that hour, but I was in bed, reading. The surface I was lying on seemed to turn into a water bed, and the chandelier above me swayed to and fro. I wondered whether I should get up and stand in the doorway. I wondered it some more. I probably had enough time for wondering that I really should have gotten up and stood there, like they say you are supposed to. But then it stopped.

But none of this empirical evidence for a quake was at play in what happened here on Friday, when apparently "thousands of residents in Tajikistan’s capital city of Dushanbe went without sleep, kept awake by a bogus rumor about an impending earthquake." I honestly don't quite know what comment to make on this story, it is so strange to me and so hard for me to imagine acting in this way. Let's hope the "poor flows of information" improve before anything really serious happens here!

No comments: